Easter events signal new dawn and hope
Wesley Mission will host a series of Easter events, re-enactments and more than 25 worship services during Holy Week 2012.
For more than 50 years Wesley Mission has taken the story of Easter into the public space giving people the opportunity to hear and share in the message of Easter.
Wesley Mission Superintendent the Rev. Dr Keith Garner said Easter was a reminder that during periods of darkness there is always hope at the coming of a new dawn.
“Since the early days of the Christian community, Easter and Holy Week have been observed as a special time to focus on Jesus Christ and His message of grace, forgiveness and new life,” Dr Garner said.
“This message is timely as many people around the world seek political freedom or struggle to survive in the face of famine and disaster.
“By joining with others and taking part in the dramatic and engaging events of Holy Week, we can let that message of love and forgiveness penetrate our lives.”
Wesley Mission Easter 2012 events include:
- Palm Sunday, Sunday, April 1, 1 pm. Procession and Open Air ServiceThe Palm Sunday procession is a dramatic re-enactment of Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem. Colour and movement mark this vital walk around Circular Quay and to First Fleet Park for an open air service led by the Rev. Dr Keith Garner. The procession begins at 1 pm near Phillip Street, Circular Quay and proceeds to First Fleet Park.
- Tuesday, April 3. Easter Luncheon. 12:30 pm, Wesley Centre, hosted by Mrs Carol Garner; Superintendent the Rev. Dr Keith Garner will speak on “Through darkness to light”.
- Wednesday, April 4. Easter Breakfast: an event for corporate and community leaders. 7:15 for 7:30 am – 8:30 am, Wesley Centre, 220 Pitt Street, Sydney. Wesley Mission Superintendent the Rev. Dr Keith Garner speaks on “Suffering and hope”. Dr Garner will reflect upon this year’s international events as many people around the world seek political freedom or struggle to survive in the face of famine and disaster. Easter’s message of hope in Christ is more relevant than ever.
- Good Friday, Friday, April 6. On the streets of Sydney: Way of the cross procession. Good Friday traditional procession through Sydney CBD: 2 – 2:30 pm. Beginning at Martin Place and travelling to the Wesley Centre, 220 Pitt Street, Sydney.
- Good Friday Service: 2.30 pm. The worship service is a time to remember the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his sacrifice. Wesley Theatre, Wesley Centre, 220 Pitt Street, Sydney.
- Television: Channel 9: 2 am. Wesley Impact TV special Good Friday broadcast.
- Easter Sunday Sunrise Service. Sunday, April 8, 6 am. Sydney Opera House. As the sun rises on Easter Day, songs of praise from the Opera House will echo across Sydney Harbour. Hundreds of people from all walks of life will join together to celebrate the power of Jesus’ resurrection. The service will be led by Wesley Mission Superintendent the Rev. Dr Keith Garner.
- Television: Wesley Impact TV, broadcast on Channel Nine at 5.30 am. Easter Sunrise Service, broadcast live on Channel 9 and simulcast on 103.2 FM.
2021 #ChangeTheHeart Prayer Service25/01/2021
Gospel Yarning 202125/02/2021 - 27/02/2021