President calls for prayers for Japan
The President of the Uniting Church’s national Assembly, the Rev. Alistair Macrae, has encouraged congregations, schools and church agencies to consider holding a “day of prayer for Japan” as soon as possible.
Mr Macrae said that might consist simply of opening a church, creating a space for prayer and reflection in a ministry context, and providing candles for people to light.
He said congregations could provide resources such as prayers to read or printed passages of scripture and communicate to the wider community that all are welcome to come and pray.
Mr Macrae’s suggestions for materials to use included:
- The World Council of Churches website, which has an order of service for prayers for Japan;
- A range or prayer and worship resources at Text week;
- A prayer from Pilgrim Uniting Church, South Australia;
- A short reflection and prayer on tragedy from the Salt Project;
- A litany for Japan from Interrupting the Silence; and
- Creative worship ideas from Hold This Space.
2021 #ChangeTheHeart Prayer Service25/01/2021
Gospel Yarning 202125/02/2021 - 27/02/2021