President calls for prayers for Japan
The President of the Uniting Church’s national Assembly, the Rev. Alistair Macrae, has encouraged congregations, schools and church agencies to consider holding a “day of prayer for Japan” as soon as possible.
Mr Macrae said that might consist simply of opening a church, creating a space for prayer and reflection in a ministry context, and providing candles for people to light.
He said congregations could provide resources such as prayers to read or printed passages of scripture and communicate to the wider community that all are welcome to come and pray.
Mr Macrae’s suggestions for materials to use included:
- The World Council of Churches website, which has an order of service for prayers for Japan;
- A range or prayer and worship resources at Text week;
- A prayer from Pilgrim Uniting Church, South Australia;
- A short reflection and prayer on tragedy from the Salt Project;
- A litany for Japan from Interrupting the Silence; and
- Creative worship ideas from Hold This Space.
Supervisor Training ProgramMon, 10th May 2021 - Fri, 5th Nov 2021
FREE Webinars for parents and carersMon, 16th Aug 2021 - Thu, 18th Nov 2021
Why the Uniting Church Supports the School Strike for ClimateWed, 6th Oct 2021
Ministry on the Edge- CancelledThu, 14th Oct 2021
Supporting young people's mental health when they are onlineTue, 19th Oct 2021 - Thu, 18th Nov 2021