WalkTogether with us
Thousands of people in 20 cities and regional centres across Australia will Walk Together on Saturday 31 October to demonstrate values of compassion, hospitality and generosity.
WalkTogether 2015 will be a celebration of diversity and an opportunity to stand up against fear and prejudice. It will send a message to our government that we can and must do more to welcome refugees and migrants to Australia and continue to build a more compassionate, welcoming society.
Give Hope Campaign, together with the Uniting Church Synod of NSW and the ACT, are encouraging congregations to participate in their local WalkTogether march. We want to show that the Church supports love, diversity and opening our hearts and communities to those in need of refuge.
The Moderator, Rev. Myung Hwa Park, will be in attendance, along with John Jegasothy, Minister at Rose Bay – Vaucluse & Sydney Tamil Uniting Church. John himself came to Australia as a refugee 29 years ago and his support for the rally shows that public declarations of peace and welcome are important for continuing to create an open, diverse community.
The march is also an opportunity to ensure the 12,000 new refugees set to arrive in Australia from Syria and Iraq are welcomed with compassion, dignity and open arms. (Could link here to your story about this)
- Rally your congregations, friends and families to help us represent Give Hope and the Uniting Church at Sydney Walk Together 2015. If you’re thinking of going to the Sydney march and would like to walk with us, please fill out this form so we can organise our group and distribute banners, signs and T-shirts: https://www.123contactform.com/form-1602505/WalkTogether2015
- Uniting Church congregations can download banners for the event (leaving 7 days for delivery prior to the event) by following the instructions here.
- For more information about Sydney WalkTogether 2015 go to: www.facebook.com/events/731650123631784/
- To find your nearest march in other cities go to: www.facebook.com/events/479297908902291/
- For more details about walking with us, please contact Kate Sharkey, Advocacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0294073230
When: Saturday 31 October, 11am
Where: Victoria Park to Prince Alfred Park
Meet: 10:30am at Victoria Park, near the ‘Gardeners Lodge’ by the pond