National survey of lay preachers and worship leaders
The Uniting Church’s national Assembly is seeking information from accredited Lay Preachers and other lay people who preach and lead worship regularly.
The aim is to determine how the church might best recruit, train and support people who serve in this way.
A print copy can also be obtained by calling 08 8416 8420.
The aims of the review are to assist the MEC to:
- identify whether the definition of the ministry of Lay Preacher is adequate for the future needs of the church and make recommendations to the Assembly regarding any necessary Regulation changes;
- identify whether the Rules for Study for the ministry of Lay Preacher are adequate for the nature of the ministry as determined above and make recommendations to the Assembly regarding any necessary amendments;
- identify issues related to selection, training and continuing education of Lay Preachers and make recommendations to the body or agency appointed by each synod; and
- review the training being offered by synods and presbyteries in the light of the Rules (as required by the Regulations).
The review will require consideration of:
- the range of contexts in which Lay Preachers serve
- the roles and tasks that Lay Preachers perform
- the roles and recognition of non-accredited lay preachers and worship leaders
- processes and standards for training and assessment of Lay Preachers
- supervision and support for Lay Preachers.