Milestone for educational facility
The Uniting Church celebrated 25 years of education at its Centre for Ministry in North Parramatta on October 7.
Over two hundred people — including students, staff and those who had gathered on the site for conferences during the 25 years — enjoyed lunch and high tea in the park-like grounds of the centre, with a jumping castle being a major attraction for children.
The newly-appointed Hills Shire Deputy Mayor, Councillor Andrew Jefferies, also attended the Service of Celebration, which included the dedication of a new outdoor chapel that honours Australians who served on the Kokoda Track during World War II.
Moderator of the Synod of New South Wales and the ACT, the Rev. Dr Brian Brown, and the Executive Director of Uniting Mission and Education, the Rev. Kath Merrifield, led the worship service and the dedication of the outdoor chapel.
The service included an act of remembrance of baptism and commitment to mission.
The Centre for Ministry occupies part of the site where Sir James Burns of Burns Philp & Co. established Burnside Homes for Children in 1911, which has grown to be UnitingCare Burnside.
United Theological College, a campus of Charles Sturt University, is located at the centre along with a substantial library and several other Uniting Church activities, making the centre a significant educational facility.