Governor-General honours Uniting Church members
The Governor-General, Her Excellency Quentin Bryce AC CVO, Chancellor of the Order ofAustralia, has approved awards for the Australia Day 2012 Honours List, including many Uniting Church people around Australia.
Four-hundred-and-thirty-nine recipients received awards in the general division of the Order of Australia in recognition of their diverse contributions and service to fellow citizens in Australia and internationally.
“I want to give my strong support to the awards made through the Australian Honours System,” Ms Bryce said. “They elevate the concept of giving to others. They heighten our respect for one another, and they encourage Australians to think about the responsibilities of citizenship in our democracy.”
MEMBER (AM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
Ms Frances Mary (Fran) KILGARIFF, Alice Springs, NT
For service to local government in the Northern Territory, to the economic and social advancement of the community of the Alice Springs region, and through contributions to Indigenous, tourism and community health organisations.
- Teacher, St Philip’s College, Alice Springs, 1990-2000.
Located in Alice Springs, capital of Outback Australia, St Philip’s is a Uniting Church co-educational Boarding and Day School for students in Years 7–12
MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
Dr Kenneth Vernon BAILEY, Ainslie, ACT
For service to the community of the Australian Capital Territory.
- Grounds Carer volunteer, Australian Centre for Christianity, Barton, ACT, 2000-2006.
- Active Member, Canberra Interfaith Forum, since 1997; currently actively involved with the establishment of the Canberra Interfaith Environment, Meditation and Healing Garden, Menindee Drive, Barton.
- Current active Member,WesleyUnitingChurch.
- Volunteer, UnitedMissiontoNepal, 1999 and 2005.
The Reverend Dr Warren Keith BARTLETT, Glen Waverley, Vic
For service to theUnitingChurchinAustralia, and to the community.
- Moderator, Synod ofVictoriaandTasmania, Uniting Church inAustralia, 1994-1997.
- Minister, Croydon, 1997-2000; Horsham, 1988-1994;Preston, 1963-1964; Colac, 1958-1962; and Cobram, 1953-1958.
- Council Member,WesleyCollege,Melbourne, and St Hilda’s College, University of Melbourne, 1970-1985.
- Associate Dean, Arts, University of Melbourne, 1975-1980; Deputy Dean, 1981.
Mr David Ernest BLACKWELL, St Ives NSW
For service to the accountancy profession, and to the community.
- Chairman, Council, Pymble Ladies’ College, 1987-1992; Member, 1965-1992; Member, Finance Committee, 1965-1979; Convenor, 1979-1987.
- Board Member and Honorary Treasurer, Association of Independent Schools, 1991-2002.
Pymble Ladies College is a school of the Uniting Church in Australia, the Christian faith is a core element of our identity. It underpins and informs our values, activities and attitudes.
Mrs Eve CHAPPELL, Glen Innes NSW
For service to the preservation of local history through the Glen Innes and District Historical Society.
- Member, Glen Innes and District Historical Society, since 1969; Life Member; Archivist and Researcher.
- Member, Uniting Church.
Alice May (Pix) HALLORAN, Galston NSW
For service to aged welfare inNew South Wales.
- Director of Nursing, Anglican Retirement Villages, 1993-1997.
- Secretary of Elders Council, Galston Uniting Church, 2004-2008.
Mr Trevor Lindsay MANNING, Birdwood SA
For service to the community of Birdwood, and through executive roles with health care providers.
- Member, Birdwood High School Council, for 6 years; Chair, Facilities Review, for 14 months.
- Member, Birdwood United Church.
Ms Deborah Ruth NICHOLLS, Balmain NSW
For service to the community, particularly as a refugee advocate.
- Founding Committee Member, Bridge for Asylum Seekers Foundation, since 2003; Member, Case Assessment Committee.
- Founding Member, Balmain for Refugees, since 2001; Member, Case Assessment Committee; Visitor, Villawood Detention Centre since 2002.
- Has represented asylum seekers before the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s Refugee Review Panel and Migration Review Tribunal, since 2002.
- Member, Church Council, Balmain Uniting Church, since 2002.
Mr Anthony Brooke (Tony) ROBINS, Heathpool SA
For service to the the community of Adelaide, particularly through the Phoenix Society.
- Board Member, The Memorial Hospital, 1989-1998; when the hospital was under the auspices of theUnitingChurch.
- Member, Burnside City Uniting Church; Member, Church Council; Coordinator, Planned Giving, on several occasions; Choir Member; Coordinator of fundraising towards the amalgamation of four churches to become Burnside City Uniting in 2010; Member, Tusmore Park Uniting Church, from 1978 until the amalgamation.
Mr William RYAN, Alstonville NSW
For service to the community through the United Protestants Association of NSW.
- President, United Protestants Association of NSW, 1993-2007 and 2010-2011; Board
- Member, since 1992; Life Member, since 2000; active Member, since 1984.
- Current Chairperson, Uniting Church Alstonville; ongoing active Member.
- Executive Member,Bent StreetUniting Church,South Grafton, 1985-2001.
Mr Noel Edward TARBOTTON, Gowrie ACT
For service to youth through Scouts Australia.
- Chairman Parish Council, Tuggeranong Uniting Church; Member, Presbytry Research and
- Development Committee; Leader, Youth Group; involved in the establishment of Children’s
Mrs Frances Dawn WALLACE, Quirindi NSW
For service to the community of Quirindi.
- Current Coordinator, Church Council,QuirindiUnitingChurch; current Treasurer.
- Current Secretary, Women’s Fellowship Group.
Mr August (Gus) WOHLSCHLAGER, Port Pirie SA
For service to the community of Port Pirie.
- Volunteer Truck Driver, UnitingCare Wesley; volunteer Coordinator and fundraiser, Men’s
Shed, since 2006.
We acknowledge there could be others also associated with church activities which are not as obvious and to them we also extend our sincerest congratulations.
Supervisor Training ProgramMon, 10th May 2021 - Fri, 5th Nov 2021
FREE Webinars for parents and carersMon, 16th Aug 2021 - Thu, 18th Nov 2021
Supporting young people's mental health when they are onlineTue, 19th Oct 2021 - Thu, 18th Nov 2021
The Gospel of Luke: "We had hoped…"Tue, 19th Oct 2021 - Tue, 9th Nov 2021
Share the love special event by UnitingWorldThu, 28th Oct 2021