The Disaster Recovery Chaplaincy Network (DRCN) Core Training Course – Westmead
- Tue, 14th February 2023
- 12:00 am
14 Feb 2023 until 15 Feb 2023
12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
The DRCN Core Training 2-day courses are open to new applicants that wish to be accredited as NSW Disaster Recovery Chaplains.
If you believe that you would be a suitable DRCN chaplain and meet the necessary criteria, you are invited to apply to join the DRCN.
To receive application and nomination forms directly by email, contact Dawn at DRCN@nat.uca.org.au or download the forms per the instructions below.
Core training courses for the first half of 2023 coming
The following courses are scheduled:
- 14-15 February at Westmead
- 21-22 February at Orange
- 27-28 April at Canberra
Who may apply?
DRCN chaplains are ordained or equivalent (employed in the care of people in their faith community or beyond) or commissioned chaplains in institutions (e.g. hospitals, schools, prisons etc.) from the faith groups listed in this link.
DRCN Core Course Topics
This is the induction course essential to join the DRCN. It covers the following units of work:
- Introductions – Equipping people for the course and giving context to the DRCN operation in Disaster welfare
- The Nature of Chaplaincy in Crisis – Understanding the unique role of Disaster Recovery Chaplains
- The Nature of Disaster and Emerging Issues – Understanding the dynamics of disaster and its effect on individuals and communities.
- Human Needs and Development – Understand what the basic human need is and thus the correct intervention.
- Overview of the Trauma Response – Understand holistically what may happen to people in crisis.
- Skills in Caring for Traumatised People – Understand practical issues in care and communication with traumatised people.
- The Practice of Chaplaincy – Understand issues of practical involvement in this work.
- The Code of Ethics and Guiding Principles – Clarify philosophy and conduct of DR and Guiding Principles.
The course is free of charge and necessary travel and accommodation may be covered as well.
How to apply
- Click on this link.
- Download the application and nomination forms.
- Complete the application form, sign, scan and return it to DRCN@nat.uca.org.au
- The nominator (An overseer in the denomination supporting the applicant) fill in the nomination form, sign, scan and return it to DRCN@nat.uca.org.au.
If you have any queries in relation to applying to be a Disaster Recovery Chaplain, please email DRCN@nat.uca.org.au or call David Riethmuller (DRCN Operations and Connections Manager) on
0408 864 846.
The Disaster Recovery Chaplaincy Network (DRCN) Core Training Course - CanberraThu, 27th Apr 2023 - Fri, 28th Apr 2023
Spiritual Care Australia Conference - Trajectories of HopeMon, 19th Jun 2023 - Wed, 21st Jun 2023
Preachfest 2023Wed, 1st Nov 2023 - Fri, 3rd Nov 2023
- See more events
ADD AN EVENT
Are you hosting an event in the Synod that will be of interest to Insights’ readers?
To add an event listing email us your event details. A full list of events can be found on our Events page.