Fund our future not Gas – Global day of Action
- Fri, 25th September 2020
- 12:00 am
25 Sep 2020
12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Category(ies) No Categories
The wider Uniting Church is joining youth climate leaders calling for action on climate change, and to build a better future.
The School Strike for Climate and SEED Indigenous Youth Climate Network now ask their supporters of all ages to take part in a national day of action on September 25, calling on the government to “fund our future not gas”.
What can we do to support young climate leaders and build a better future?
Before the day
- Join our online briefing session
The Uniting Advocacy team is offering two on-line briefing sessions for Uniting Church members and the Uniting community. In these sessions we will:
- Gain an overview of our national energy use and why we need to accelerate the switch to renewable energy
- Hear from Uniting Church leaders about their climate concerns and how action on climate change is part of the Uniting Church’s mission and faith
- Receive some guidance and training on how to take the actions outlined above by yourself, or with others
- Build our connections with others who share our concerns
- Participate in the Common Grace online prayer vigil in support of the day of action via Zoom, on Thursday September 24, at 7pm. More info at: www.commongrace.org.au
- Write a letter to your Federal MP;
Our decision makers need to hear from ordinary people about our desire for an economic recovery based on renewable energy – one that will create jobs and a liveable planet. A short personal letter to your local Federal MP to share your concerns can make a difference. Why not organise one or two others to write letters with you? For some inspiration- Check out this messaging guide, and report from The Australia Institute on reasons to support a renewables-led recovery, not gas:
On the Day
- Participate in the September 25 Build Our Future action
Here are some ways you can take part
- Display a sign with the message “Fund our future not gas” . A simple way to show support is to make a sign with the message “fund our future not gas” on the day, or even in the lead-up to the event. Why not get one or two others to make a sign with you?
- Take a photo of your sign/banner and post it to social media, using the hashtags #BuildOurFuture and #TurnOffTheGas and #uniting4climate You could also tag it to your state or federal MP, so they get the message as well. Send us the photo so we can share it on Uniting Earth’s social media too and create some noise
- Support young people in your local area
- Find out if there is a “Build Our Future” event in your area and go if you are free, COVID restrictions permitting. Go to, https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/buildourfuture
If you have any questions about the Build Our Future event or the briefings, please contact Jon O’Brien in the Uniting Advocacy team on 9407 3225 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and Dee Davidian on email@example.com
2021 #ChangeTheHeart Prayer Service25/01/2021
Gospel Yarning 202125/02/2021 - 27/02/2021